View Single Post
Old
08-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Rob Scuderi

vCash: 500
Marty Turco, G

Vezina Voting: 2 (2003), 4 (2004), T5 (2006)
All-Star Voting: 2 (2003), 3 (2004), 4 (2006) 8 (2007)
Hart Voting: 8 (2004), 11 (2003), 1 vote in 2006

x3 Top 5 Save % (1st in '01, 1st in '03, 4th in '02)
x7 Top 10 GAA (1st in '01, 1st in '03, 3rd in '02, 3rd in '04, 4th in '07, 8th in '06, 9th in '08)
x3 NHL All-Star Game appearances

Turco's SV % and league average
I'm using the numbers only from goalies who played at least 25 games and included Turco's own numbers in this average.
YearGPTurco's SV%League Average %
200126 GP .925.906
200231 GP.921.909
200355 GP.932.910
200473 GP.913.913
200668 GP.898.903
200767 GP.910.908
200862 GP.909.910
200974 GP.898.910
201053GP.913.912
201129 GP.897.914

Description of Turco heading into the 2003 playoffs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Eliot's Goalie Analysis
Mental Toughness
Turco proved this season that he was ready to take over as an NHL starter. His grooming as a backup certainly paid off. He felt all along that he was ready this year -- part of the progression -- as he wasn't thrust into a role he did not understand.

Glove Hand
Turco is a good, dependable catcher of the puck. Earlier in his career, he said he was always looking to make the flashy save. Now, it is just the opposite as he focuses on making the solid play.

Stick
Turco is fabulous with his stick in all situations, and is second only to Martin Brodeur in puck-handling prowess.

Pads
He is fundamentally sound, so his feet are situated and his setup is done early. Turco has worked hard on early positioning and it has paid off. Add his quick feet to the equation and you have a textbook example of how to get maximum use of the goal pads to make saves and control rebounds.

Style
Turco has the best footwork in the game right now. His early setup, patience and athletic ability combine in making him adept at both first saves and stops in rebound and recovery situations.

Intangible
He knows how to win and is consistent. Eclipsing Tony Esposito's all-time goals-against average mark of 1.77 with his own 1.72 GAA this season can't hurt his confidence, either.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hoc...sis/turco.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Goal Magazine - Oct 26, 2010
Except today’s young goalies don’t just look up to Turco and hope to be like him in the general sense. When it comes to puck handling, they are copying him exactly, taught from a young age to turn over their glove hand as they grip the lower part of the stick, a change in philosophy that started with Turco tinkering in college and led to him revolutionizing the way goaltenders everywhere play the puck.
There’s a reason it’s called the Turco Grip.

“He has evolved the game into something it couldn’t have been without his idea,” said Lightning goalie Mike Smith, who credits his time with Turco in Dallas for his current status as one of the league’s better puck-moving goaltenders (so too does Tampa Bay’s Dan Ellis, also an ex-Stars prospect). “It’s funny because you see all the kids doing it now.”

“The reason I started doing it is I was getting choked about not stopping hard rims on my backhand when I had my hand underneath and you just don’t have much power on your backhand. Coming in on you forehand side you are leaning into it, but on the backhand side it would just push the stick away. I didn’t have the leverage, so this was more just turning my hand over, jamming my stick square into the end boards and then stop it, and at first I’d even then turn my hand back over and under to play it. Then all of a sudden you are playing around with it and you need to do it quick so you shovel it along the ice that way and figure out, ‘hey I can actually saucer it pretty good this way’ and then all of a sudden it’s ‘while, hey I got a way better backhand then I do the other way so now I have two options.’”
And that, in a nutshell, changed how goalies handle the puck.

“We used to always say ‘the goalies going to put it on his forehand side, forehand side: He can only shoot it one-way’ and that happened for years,” said Turco. “But now you don’t hear that as often because guys will flip their hand over and have the ability to push it with conviction to their backside or their weak side. That was a real breakthrough for me to have that option and to even get it off the ice on that side. It was one thing just to push it along the boards, but if you got a guy on the forecheck sealing the wall you’ve got to get it up and over the blade and the sticks and even put it on the glass. It took a long time to have some fire on it, to saucer it and have it land flat so you could actually make passes and not just have grenades blowing up in front of your wingers or having them get pounded by D-men. So that’s how it all started. And I knew it was a pretty good idea when I saw Patrick (Roy) try it later on.”
http://ingoalmag.com/features/how-ma...r-goaltenders/

Last edited by vecens24: 08-16-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote