View Single Post
Old
08-16-2012, 05:48 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
You guys think Simmonds matches or surpasses the numbers he produced this year? Claude Giroux contributed to a majority of his points, and he got to play cleanup on the Flyers' PP.

As for those revisiting the trade, look at it this way. If the Kings don't trade for Mike Richards, then it's also unlikely they get Jeff Carter.

If you told me in 2010 that the Kings would add Mike Richards and Jeff Carter and only had to give up Wayne Simmonds, Brayden Schenn, Jack Johnson, a 1st and a 2nd round pick, I'd call you crazy. Adding those two players is like acquiring Mike Ricci and Tony Amonte within a year, which would be classified as terrific acquisitions during the late 90s era of hockey.

I still like Simmonds though and hope that Kyle Clifford can become a similar style player who can defend his teammates, crash the net and score those gritty goals. What I really love about Simmonds' game is his play along the boards. He's relentless in his puck pursuit and retrieval and 9 out of 10 times, he's coming out with the puck in those board battles. That's what Clifford needs to become.
His stats might be inflated from playing with the Flyers, but they're no fluke.

Remember Simmonds was one of the Kings better scorers at even strength. Terry never made an effort to develop his offense game. I thought he clearly deserved PP time, but didn't get it.

It reminds me of Brown with Andy Murray versus Brown with Crawford. One coach tried to develop his offensive game, and the other didn't.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote