Thread: Rank the Oilers
View Single Post
Old
12-03-2003, 09:27 PM
momentai

vCash: 500
Hey Mizral. I know you're expecting long posts and discussion about this. I'll try and live up to the expectations...

1. Ales Hemsky - Now he is the one player on this team who has ANY type of superstar potential in him. He scored 30 pts in his first year coming out of junior and is on pace to hit the 57 pt plateau this year at the tender age of 20. Given that he is still on his rookie contract for this year and for next... I'd say he is #1 in terms of importance for this club.

2. Mike York - He has been Mr. Consistent for this year. Versatile player that plays on the pp, pk and 5 on 5. He has played center with the Dvorak and Torres line for most of the year even though center is not his ideal position.

3. Raffi Torres - Probably would not have been this high at the beginning of the season, but given his consistent effort, hitting, and goal scoring ability... he deserves this spot. It helps that he is signed for the next couple of years pretty cheap as well.

4. Alexei Semenov - Now, I think I have defended him more than most on this board. LOL. But I firmly believe that he is one of the better defenders on this team and is much more consistent as a younger dman than either Bergeron or Brewer. To me, he's a keeper for sure and I said earlier in the year that he would end up as the best dman by the end of the year. Can't backtrack on those words, now can I?

5. Steve Staios - At this point, he is the most valuable dman on the team bar none. He is forced to be on the ice for every occasion and MacT seldom lets him play less than 24 minutes a night. He is currently the backbone of this weak defense. Losing him would be devastating.

6. Ryan Smyth - Longest serving Oiler on the team now that Marchant is gone. He leads on and off the ice even without the C on his chest. Though, he hasn't been playing well for a number of weeks, his importance cannot be understated.

7. Marty Reasoner - The loss of this one player is such a blow to this team's third line and pk. He is an excellent face-off man, cheap and extremely effective in his role as a third line checker. Not as good as Marchant but cheaper and younger in the same role.

8. Jarett Stoll - He is Hyped's boy as Hyped was touting him for a long while before he showed up in Edmonton. With 5 goals in a limited number of games, he has looked poised and confident as a young player in the league. He already looks like a veteran out there on the ice. Given the fact that he is a born leader and knows his own end of the ice very well, he's a keeper for sure.

9. Eric Brewer - Like him or not. Effective at times or not. He is still 24 years old and has the old "proverbial" potential stigma attached. If only he could put things together... but he still is very valuable as a young dman on this team. His contract could have been better structured though...

10. Radek Dvorak - Seems to have found a niche in Edmonton that he didn't have before. The good ice has helped his game and he seems comfortable. Along with York and Torres, he has consistently generated numerous scoring chances with his speed and that line has become the steadiest on the team.

11. Ethan Moreau - Leads the team with his workmanlike effort on the ice. You will find nary a game that Ethan doesn't lay it all on the line during a game. Unfortunately, his brain at times doesn't correspond with common sense... hence, the poor timing of his penalties. But you cannot knock his effort. His contract also gets better as the years pass.

12. Ty Conklin - goaltender of the future? One can only hope. In his limited showing since old Tommy had the hip problem... Ty has really shined giving the Oilers some reliable goaltending between the pipes. (The defense in front of him is another story)

The rest...
13. Jason Smith
14. Fernando Pisani
15. Marc-Andre Bergeron
16. Jason Chimera
17. Brad Isbister
18. Shawn Horcoff
19. Cory Cross
20. Tommy Salo
21. Scott Ferguson
22. Georges Laraque

N/A Bobby Allen, Peter Sarno, Tony Salmalainen, Stephen Valiquette