View Single Post
Old
04-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram
need i remind you of mikka kiprusoff ?????? inner conferance trades can really really hurt you
Is that a fact? The next Kiprusoff, huh? If Boston really has a fear that Raycroft is going to be the next Kiprusoff, then the team ought to deal Thomas and retain this burgeoning Vezina candidate it has on its hands.

As for Vancouver, the team simply does not have a lot of excess assets. There are some underperforming vets (Morrison, Bertuzzi) on somewhat to very bloated contracts, who are tough sells any way you slice it. There are some very good younger assets (Kesler, Bourdon, Sedin2, Allen, Cory Schneider, and more), but because Vancouver is trying to transition to some extent, it is these younger, attractive assets that the team will consider untouchable for the moment with good reason, if you ask me. They are the future. Koltsov is staying in Europe.

The team can look to free agency, but money doesn't grow on trees, and even if ownership were amenable, the cap is there. The team could move picks, but what they really need and want to do is to stock a thin farm system.

My guess is that next year is a mild rebuild, shuffling some free agents in and out, integrating more youth in key roles, and looking to accumulate some more nice assets. This summer, Bertuzzi will probably be dealt (but for a return comparable to, say... a one-time 30-goal scorer like Zednik and a second rounder, maybe more), but it is very probable that Morrison stays in some capacity... otherwise, he too might genuinely be akin to a dump. The tradeable assets aren't especially attractive, given the ones considered untouchable. It's going to be about building back up through the draft for Vancouver, which is fine, but it takes some time.

Among the vets, Ohlund is an excellent player who would draw interest from many teams. Will the Canucks really want to move him, though? I can't see why. Better to keep him.