Thread: Shea Weber
View Single Post
Old
08-17-2012, 09:31 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
So, big clubs were extending Suter 10 year offers, but you feel they were too afraid to offer Weber (the best D-man in the NHL) a 14 year deal?

The Flyers need a #1 D, and they were not desperate making their offer to NSH. If PHI was desperate they would have traded Couts+Schenn to get the Weber deal done. It's not as though they made a 14 year offer to a mediocre D-man...
They weren't afraid to do a 14 year deal with Weber. They thought (and correctly so) that Nashville would match anything other than a 1 year offer sheet so they felt that going that route was foolish.

From Mike Gillis:

Quote:
“Our issue was how do you get the player,” said Gillis. “Our issue wasn’t the money. It’s how do you actually get the player on your team. Our feeling was that a contract with term probably wouldn’t allow that to happen.”

Asked why he didn’t take a flier like Philadelphia general manager Paul Holmgren, Gillis measured his answer.

“Well.” He paused, took a breath. “I guess that’s one school of thought. To me I’d rather be trying to accomplish things rather than, ‘Okay, throw something up in the air and hope that it sticks.’

“We threw around trade possibilities. We threw around every possible scenario. I spoke to him [Weber] about every possible scenario, and his agent. At the end of the day, I guess Philadelphia was prepared to take that chance.”
Philly was desperate because they actually extended the offer sheet with term.

I see a lot of well if Weber gets a NTC he can force his way to Philly. I have serious doubts that Weber has a "Philly or bust" attitude. He wanted his money he got.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote