View Single Post
Old
08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Sureves

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Does QoC really not matter? I find that hard to believe. Look at two players who have recently led the NHL in +/- despite low icetime: Marek Malik and Tom Preissing. This screams of dominant play in sheltered minutes. If you were to run numbers like this for these seasons for these players, would they not show up among the leaders in +/- relative to teammates? In reality though they were playing 3rd pairing minutes and weren't considered suitable opponents for the enemy's top tier forwards. QoC has to matter; I am pretty sure it is why they led the NHL in +/-. If QoC is available and properly applied it should show that these players were not actually their team's best (though perhaps overqualified to be 3rd pairing players based on their performance those particular seasons)
I've wondered this myself, and I personally reject the premise that QoC doesn't matter at all - despite the studies people have done on it.

I do however accept the fact that the difference over 82 games in QoC between any first pairing defenseman is so negligible that it doesn't warrant adjustment.

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote