View Single Post
Old
08-17-2012, 01:50 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
The 1948 Winter Olympics were held late January/early February 1948. The Czech plane crash occurred in November 1948. Your timeline is obviously out of whack.

Thanks for the correction. I should have said that the next spring, the team "cobble together" after the crash beat out Canada for Gold in the 1949 World Chanpionships.

Quote:
I realize that advocating for your boy is part of the game but keep facts on the table.
Yes, I'm twisting facts to make a player we originally drafted as a spare look better. It couldn't possibly be because I don't share your chauvinistic views on European hockey before the Summit Series.

Quote:
In 1950 the Soviet National Hockey Team was also decimated, losing 11 players, in a plane crash Sverdlovsk, which Vsevolod Bobrov avoided.
Guryshev and others avoided it too. The crash itself is a big reason the Soviets didn't make their hockey debut until 1954. And as tragic as the crash was, it didnt wipe out the entire team like what happened to the Czechs in 1950.

Quote:
Zabrodsky, Bobrov, Guryshev fit into the founders group. Neither played into the sixties like Sven Tumba or Sterner who played into the seventies. Compared to contemporaries Sven Tumba and Sterner would rank with Firsov as the top three Europeans.
Would you consider early era Canadians (say, before 1900) to be "founders" too?

Would you really rank Tumba and Sterner over Starshinov or Suchy?

Your artificial distinction of "founders" makes no sense. We're talking 5 players whose careers overlapped and the younger players did not particularly outperform the older ones

Quote:
1956 was not arbitrary as you imply, rather it reflects the changes in hockey, both in Europe and NA. Canada where the semi pro leagues were redefined with a clearer distinction between the amateur and pro leagues with procedures for amateur reinstatement.
So it means something for Canada. What does it mean for Europe?

Quote:
The European countries had moved beyond tragedies and political issues to establish leagues and national teams. The USA had taken steps towards unifying the various governing bodies, NCAA hockey was growing and elements were in place for the 1960 Olympic success.
Czechoslovakia hadn't recovered yet from 1950. If they had, why would the IIHF declare "an entire generation lost?"

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii.../story-48.html

Quote:
Point about Zabrodsky illustrated the lack of depth and diverse talent on the Czechoslovakian team. Simply the best player on a weaker team appears statistically better than the best player on a stronger team.
What about the best player on the most dominant National Team in the World for a few years? Yes, the competition wasn't that strong, but it does say something that the Czechoslovaks were superior enough to the Soviets to train them in 1948; that Soviet team that

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote