View Single Post
Old
08-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Sureves

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
Nice work btw. I just want to make two comments that I hope will be constructive.

I have read the article and I believe it is ill-suited for your purpose here (which is about ranking the league's best d-men among themselves). That article's conclusion is based on eyeballing a histogram for 3 Flyers players and showing that Nodl's expected Corsi (49.5%) is "only" 1.1% lower than Betts' (50.6%). Well guess what, the range in Corsi between the league's best and worst players is only ~12% (44-56) according to the article, so a 1% difference is significant! If d-men are uniformly distributed on Corsi and if there are 200 d-men in the league (6-7 regulars per team), that means the d-man who'd be 16th against good opposition could be 1st against mediocre opposition! If the uniformity assumption is wrong, he could leapfrog even more people.

Long story short: If you looked at the whole universe of d-men, then it may be true that QOC wouldn't really matter -- a guy ranked #50 out of 200 could really be 40-60 and it wouldn't matter. But if you're going to rank the league's top 10 d-men, QOC could make you conclude that a guy is ranked #2-3 when he should really be #10.

(I don't know how you can arbitrarily exclude Yandle on QOC and then make the claim that QOC is insignificant. I understand why you do it but to me it's just further evidence that QOC makes a difference, we're just not sure how to account for it.)

"+/- relative to team" wouldn't pick up that effect as Behindthenet's "+/-OFF" only includes games for which the player actually played, i.e. if the Pens sucked while Letang was injured, it didn't affect his +/- relative to team because those games aren't considered. You can easily convince yourself of this by looking at d-men who have played very few games, their +/-OFF is all over the place. (ex: Sneep, Bortuzzo and Strait on the Pens)
Not sure I entirely understand the first part of your post (sorry it's been a long week ) but thanks for sharing about the +/- relative to team, didn't know it was already adjusted to only include games you played in...makes the Letang results very interesting (though as you said, QoC is something to consider).

Sureves is offline   Reply With Quote