08-17-2012, 08:35 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Czechoslovakian hockey in the forties is a tribute to a Canadian Mike Buckna:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Buckna

who put in the structure, organized and coached the national team in 1947 and 1948.So the Czechs had an edge because their game had Canadian elements and a Canadian coach. Basically what the Czechs brought to the Soviet Union is a reflection of what Mike Buckna introduced in Czechoslovakia.
Yup, Buckna brought Canadian training to Czechoslovakia, who then in turn brought it to the USSR.

Quote:
My point that you twist into chauvinism is about the two sets of rules that existed in hockey starting with the 1943-44 season and the start of the 1969-70 season. The NHL, pro and semi pro leagues and all of Canada used the red line and allowed the aggressive forecheck in the offensive zone. The NCAA, AAU and AHA in the USA and Europe did not recognize the red line and did not allow body checking by the offensive team in the defensive zone. This seriously hampered the development of USA trained hockey players in the fifties and early sixties. It impacted European hockey as well. Both the USA and Europe had to reshape programs in 1969. The results were obvious with the influx of USA and European trained players by the mid 1970s.
Dreakmur already covered this for the most part.

But to add to what he said, I don't see how this is relevant in determining the best players in Europe. The best players in Europe before 1969 were Anatoli Firsov and Jan Suchy, and they remained the best players in Europe for a few years after the rule changes.

Quote:
Founders. Early Canadian hockey as well.
Okay. You're certainly entitled to that view. Good to see it is consistently applied.

Quote:
Suchy lacked on and off ice discipline somewhat like Guy Lafleur.
Can you provide a source for Suchy lacking on ice discipline? I realize he was a drunk off the ice.

Quote:
Vyacheslav Starshinov and him would rank 4th and 5th. Did not have the complete game that Sven Tumba and Sterner did or the explosive varied offense that Firsov did.

1956 Soviet gold medal was a clear signal to European hockey that the structure in place was solid.
You're entitled to your views, though I don't know if many would agree with them. Starshinov was more dominant in a better league than either Tumba or Sterner and Suchy was much more dominant internationally over better competition than any of them.

Does the fact that Tumba and Sterner tried out for the NHL and the others didn't have any influence on your views?

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote