View Single Post
Old
08-18-2012, 09:41 AM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

vCash: 500
I think the entire question comes down to developing our forward corps. I target the season 2015-2016, maybe the year after.

I don't think we have the offensive talent, and I don't think it's waiting here already, unless your window is closer to a decade. That's when your fresh draftees will be in their prime. So I think we're going to need to go out of house to nab at least one high-end offensive talent, perhaps two. I think Patrick Kane could be one of those guys for us in 3 years, but I'd like to see us add another. The Sedins both go UFA in 2015, and if they're still looking for a cup, Vancouver is not going in the right direction and they see all Buffalo lacks are high end forwards, they might take the gamble on us. Pavelski goes UFA the same year. Everybody's mentioned Getzlaf and Perry. Filppula is also going UFA next season.

Let's presume you get two of the above, for roster purposes, below.

I think the 2-3 year time frame is too optimistic if you're banking on guys just drafted being a meaningful part of the team. Yes, next season we might see Armia, Grigorenko and Girgensons in the lineup. If we're lucky, for part of the season, probably. But unless you're expecting Crosby-esque feats from them, don't expect them to carry a cup winner until they're a little more seasoned. Grigorenko and Girgensons will be 21 by the time the 2015-16 season rolls around. That's about as early as I could imagine them being ready to play a significant role in the Stanley Cup Finals. Seriously, isn't the age when Crosby centered a top line to the Cup? Are we expecting more from our kids?

I see Hodgson as a 2C and Ennis as a fluke at C at the tail end of last year who'll end up a high skill winger.

Resign Pominville and Vanek. Besides boredom, there's really no reason to let them walk, unless you think Buffalo is going to attract better free agents. I don't.

I think our blueline will be fine if we let it develop as is. Tyler Myers will be 26, about the right age for him to start playing like a top 5 D-man in the league. Sekera will be 29. Ehrhoff will end the playoffs still being only 33. Presume 1 of your prospects steps in and rounds out a very solid, versatile top 4.

Goaltending is good enough either way we go on Enroth or Miller. If we let Miller walk, it'll be because we expect comparable play going forward from Enroth.

Vanek - Getzlaf/Sedin/Filppula - Sedin/Pavelski/Kane/Perry
Ennis - Hodgson - Armia/Stafford
Ott- Grigorenko - Pominville
Tropp - Girgensons - Foligno

Myers - Sekera
Ehrhoff - McNabb
Leduc - Pysyk (or bring in the scabs)

Miller/Enroth
Scab

Last edited by haseoke39: 08-18-2012 at 09:52 AM.
haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote