View Single Post
Old
08-18-2012, 03:56 PM
icing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
1. I don't know if things are being lost in translation...I don't understand alot of what your saying or how it pertains to this conversation, but I can tell you is that in Canada we have the best youth development program. It's called the canadian hockey league, and not only canadians but americans and swedes, fins and russians come to it because they no it's the best.

2. Kick the NHL down south of the border? Surely there must be a figurative meaning to that sentence that I'm not seeing because you must know that 23 teams reside in the USA. I haven't the slightest clue what that meaning is though.

3. I can't wrap my head around the last sentence. I understand your trying to explain some sort of way to allow the best players to play, but the fact is yakupov and RNH will both be playing in the NHL next year and most NHL owners are not willing to give up some of their best young players for 2 weeks or more in the middle of a season, and understandably so.

4. The IIHF knows exactly what they are doing when they schedule a junior tournament for december, or a mens tournament in the middle of the NHL playoffs. They are evening the playing field. They are giving european teams a better chance to win, and win they are. I'm not saying the rest of the world can put together competitive teams. I'm not saying you guys can't beat the best. The evidence is there. But to look at the medal standings for any IIHF tournament and think that they wouldn't be a line of red and white flags, with a few random colors here and there if our best players weren't being held back is pure asinine. The IIHF's only interests have ever been to grow the game in europe but I don't care about that. We don't need the IIHF to grow hockey..we're ****ing canada..What I can't stand is that a body of governing that is supposed to be looking out for the best interests of EVERY country has done everything it can to handcuff the best, so that other country's can win more often and thus create greater interest and better development. They've developed the game in europe better...there's no doubt about that...but they've cheated to do so...and they will keep cheating to keep that interest. Honestly...who wants to see canada win year in and year out accept canadians. How could you possibly hope to create and sustain a significant fanbase if you were watching decades of red maple leaf flags being strut around the ice at tournaments end. You could not. So they cheat. And its ********.
1. I did not attack the Canadian development system, it is pretty obvious that it works excellent. What I did write about was that your the hockey system in general does allow for international competition. Domestic competition above everything else. International competition when we have the time or when we feel like it.

2. You whine about the best Canadian players not being able to compete internationally. Duh! They play in the NHL, a league that stretches from late September/early October to June. What's their view on international competition? If you care so must about how you are ranked on international rankings and feel heartbroken when those rankings does not show the greatness of Canada, then do something about it. Come up with a system that allow for international competition. I highly doubt NHL will change much..

3. I used that as an example of how you could mount a junior team with top junior players for an international competition as the World cup for junior teams (which is played now by the way). No NHL teams has junior teams within the organisation so guys like RNH and Yakupov can't play. European hockey clubs all have junior teams within their organisation and can move talanted juniors playing with the senior team down to reinforce the juniors if they want to. This was just an example, nothing more.

4. A lot of that is just bull. I remember the big red machine from Soviet union. Pretty much unbeatable in Europe at that time. Was that boring? No. The opposite. They were an inspiration for the teams at that time. Everyone worked their ***** off to beat them and everyone wanted to see them play. Stacked Canadian teams would be good for international competition. Swedes, russians, czechs, fins etc would step it even more to be able to beat them. And the fans would love to see the games even more.

Last edited by icing: 08-18-2012 at 04:03 PM.