View Single Post
08-19-2012, 03:37 AM
vCash: 500
Harold "Baldy" Cotton, LW

- 5'10", 155 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1932)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1933, 1935)
- Placed 14th & 20th in points (1930, 1931)
- Best Points Percentages: 61, 60, 53, 48, 48, 40

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf Legends
Smythe willingly paid the high figure because he was sure he was getting a gutsy player… he made a strong contribution as a persistent checker and solid penalty killer…although he was 5’10” and only 155 pounds, he was fearless and very willing to mix it up. He hurled his body around the ice and took plenty of spills as a result. On one occasion he got carried away and challenged referee Cooper Smeaton to a fight, but was talked out of it. Another time, when Cotton learned that a Leafs-Bruins playoff game was going to be stopped because no one could score, he blurted out, ‘Nobody is going to call this game!’ That was the spirit Smythe was looking for when he acquired the feisty Cotton
Originally Posted by The Leafs: The First 50 Years
His infectious sense of humour is still remembered by all who met him
Originally Posted by Fischler's Hockey Encyclopedia
Cotton played capably wherever he was asked.
Originally Posted by Conn Smythe: If You Can't Beat 'Em In the Alley
...then I dealt $8,000 cash and a player to Pittsburgh for Harold Cotton. I knew Cotton had guts, something we lacked. There's no way you can build a winner if you haven't got a lot of guts.

....I got into the act, too. Stewart made the mistake of skating too close to our bench and I grabbed him by the sweater. He ordered me out of the game. I refused to leave. Some ushers and cops tried to get me out of there. That brought Baldy Cotton up to challenge everybody in the rink.
Originally Posted by The Leafs: An Anecdotal History
Baldy Cotton, who was Mr. Dependable...
Originally Posted by Boston Daily Globe, February 23, 1923
Steve Hice and Harold Cotton on the Aura Lee -wings are great board workers.
Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Press, March 1st, 1927
Thursday Harold Cotton will receive a check for $100 from president Horace Townsend for making the fastest time among local players in the speed contest to determine the fastest skater in the NHL.
Originally Posted by Daily Boston Globe, December 25, 1929
the starting forward line are all capable players backed up by remarkable spares in Hal Cotton, ex Pittsburg player...
Originally Posted by April 11, 1932
A penalty to Day helped the Ranger cause. Harold Cotton and Bailey came out to give a brilliant display of defensive backchecking, at the same time having a shot or two on Roach.
Originally Posted by Calgary Daily Herald, October 10, 1935
Smythe said he was sorry to see the veteran go, but believed the change would prove beneficial to the winger.
Originally Posted by Calgary Daily Herald, April 3, 1936
Conacher playd 31 minutes, and for most of that found Harold Cotton camped on his heels. Cotton had only one job, to silence Conacher, and he stuck to him like a leech, paying little attention to the puck unless the big right winger had it. As a result Conacher had only five shots, most of them hurried.
Originally Posted by Calgary Daily Herald, April 3, 1936
Cotton did a swell job of bottling up Charlie Conacher last night. "Hey Hal, I sure wish we had you for Sunday night!", Smythe called across the liniment-stinking dressing room... Cotton just grinned.
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen, December 31, 1936
Frankie Boucher and Baldy Cotton started the fistic fireworks at the 8-minute mark.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote