Thread: Penalties
View Single Post
Old
04-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Native

vCash: 500
Rule 61 - High Sticks. Any contact made by a stick on an opponent above the shoulders is prohibited and a minor shall be imposed subject to section (b) of this Rule.

How ironic that yet another seemingly obvious highstick call was missed by all four officials, in open ice, and that it was Williams yet again. You'd figure he'd be more conscious and deliberately careful and learned his lesson about raising his stick above his shoulders... I guess not. If this is not further evidence of carelessness and no suspension is given, I question how serious is league in trying to protect the players.

It should have been called, plain and simple.

Rule 78 - Protection of the Goaltender. ...Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper's ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or (2) an attacking player initiates more than incidental contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease....

Brindamour should have been assessed a penalty on the disallowed goal, and on their third goal which was very similiar, they were clearly in the crease, made contact with Huet and impaired his ability to move freely within his own god damn crease.

IMO, the refs let that one go because they didn't want another disallowed goal, by the same team, in the same game, on their record. After all the heat from the first disallowed goal, I think they succumbed to personal reasons and did not remain objective.

While, in general, I'm very happy with the new NHL, it just befuddles me how some of the more serious infractions slip by and some behind the play stuff that has of no or little consequence, gets called.