View Single Post
Old
08-20-2012, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
All those responses are probably more akin to an organized B/C/D league than for drop-in.

When I started playing seven years ago, I went to a lot of different drop-in rink times around the area, and there were always a half dozen complete utter ****** bags who would never pass and would talk trash about you behind your back (and sometimes in front of you), basically just be complete ass holes out there.

There were also usually a few guys at each drop-in who were really nice and supportive and would help out. Sometimes they made it worthwhile, and other times I really wanted to quit as I just couldn't hang (I still probably couldn't today, but I could at least try and minimize it).

Luckily, I found some D-level drop-in times and that saved hockey for me. Then I wasn't the only one who would flub passes or miss the net. I could actually keep up on the forecheck and backcheck. I got some confidence and improved my stick handling, skating, passing, and shooting. I got addicted to the game, practiced a ton, and made improvements. And the people there were actually supportive and friendly.

What I'm saying is, if you can, find an organized game for beginners or lower-level players. Honestly playing in a league at a lower level, even if you think you can't hang, is a million times more fun and rewarding, both on and off the ice.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote