View Single Post
Old
08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 50
So I'm really intrigued by Paul Holmgren. He's getting tons of guys locked up long term, but I feel like the long term deals will hurt them in the future.

Salary Cap 2014-2015
Danny Briere >> $6.5M (1 more year)
Jakub Voracek >> $4.25M (2 more years)
Scott Hartnell >> $4.75M (4 more years)
Max Talbot >> $1.75M (2 more years)
Wayne Simmonds >> 3.975M (4 more years)

Braydon Coburn >> $4.5M (2 more years)
Luke Schenn >> $3.6M (2 more years)
Nicklas Grossmann >> $3.5M (2 more years)
(Chris Pronger >> $4.9M (3 more years))

Ilya Bryzgalov >> $5.67M (until the end of time)

That's $38.5M ($43.4M with Pronger) tied up in 5 forwards, only 3 of which are top-6 and two of which will be Briere at 36 y/o and Hartnell, whose body might give out sooner rather than later ala Clowe, three defensemen, only one of which is top-pairing, and a bipolar goaltender. That's almost $40 million in 9 players. That doesn't include Claude Giroux, Brayden Schenn, and Sean Couturier, all of whom will be RFA, and Matt Read and Andrej Meszaros, who will be UFA, and a #1 defenseman. I'll assume Giroux will get a long, cap-circumventing contract in the neighborhood of $7M. Couturier and Schenn will get around $4M each, going by the JVR, Voracek, and Simmonds deals as comp. Add those three in and that's $53M without Pronger and without Read or Meszaros or a #1 defenseman. It's still only 8 forwards, 3 defensemen, and a goaltender. Assume Meszaros is re-signed at $4.5M (as he already makes $4M) and Read at $2.5M (conservatively), that's $60M (without Pronger) for 9 forwards, 4 defensemen not including a #1, and a bipolar starter. And I went conservative on Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Meszaros, and Read. If the cap keeps going up, they'll probably get more. And Schenn and Couturier are (and will be) better players than Simmonds.

So suffice to say, I have no idea what Holmgren's doing.

EDIT: Oh, and we only have $25M in cap space committed after July 1st, 2014. We should put massive offersheets in to Giroux and the rest.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote