View Single Post
Old
08-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Talks to Goalposts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
So, since this was "natural progression", Patches could have done the same with let's say, Noke?

I know what ur going to say and it's ridiculous to think that Desharnais wasn't somewhat responsible for Paches' success.
That's ludicrous. No one is arguing that. The question is whether Desharnais is better for Pacioretty than a replacement center on the Habs which means Plekanec or Eller last year.

For what its worth, I'd say with Eller his scoring is less but his plus minus would be about the same due to better defense/puck possession.

And from what I can tell about playing with Plekanec based off of 2011-12 as well as 2010-11, it makes for equivalent offense and much better defense.

Pacioretty-Plekanec-Cole would be one of the top two-way lines in the conference in my opinion. On 5 on 5 in the neighbourhood of Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin or Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr (they relied on the powerplay).

Which is why I'd like to see Pacioretty-Plekanec-Gionta/Cole as the top line next year. With that at the top of the lineup on even strength everyone else's job gets easier. Them plus Gorges-Subban forces difficult decisions for the opposing coach, that line will beat depth defensive options easily, but if you play it power on power then your best forwards are apt to get shutdown. Then build a secondary shutdown line around Eller (Moen? Gionta? Bourque? Prust? Armstrong?) and a secondary scoring line around Desharnais (Cole? Bourque? Galchenyuk? Armstrong? Leblanc/Palushaj?).

I think it will be easier to use Desharnais in situations where he really adds value to the team if you can build a really good two-way line to get the puck up the ice and draw away the opposing top players and use his skills to maximize the offense from the secondary scorers.

I also think that not necessarily next year but after that we'll see Desharnais move into a platoon LW/C role with Galchenyuk. The team only really needs one of them at center as Plekanec and Eller are perfect for the 2 two-way centerman jobs a top nine needs and this will allow both 94 and 51 to play the pure offense role they probably will be best suited for during that time frame. It also shores up a weak area at LW, which is really bad after Pacioretty.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote