View Single Post
Old
08-20-2012, 09:02 PM
rdawg1234

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
Just got to get to the playoffs, and "anything can happen". Teams that need a #1 goalie, are saying just that. There may only be a handful of places where Luongo would currently fit, but Luongo is a goalie that has proven to be one of the best #1's in the regular season. Why couldn't "anything happen" for a team with Luongo? I don't get it. Mike Leighton nearly won the cup, for.... Pete's sake!

I'm completely with Gillis on this one: if teams will only offer semi-scrubs and cap-dumps for Luongo, then let them stew in their own mess until they come crawling back with an actual hockey deal. I don't expect the world, but a top prospect, or a fairly high-quality NHLer, or top 10 draft pick is a must.

Only those who don't fully understand how his contract works, say it is too long. When he retires, he retires with no future cap-hit. Until then, he will be a starting goalie and completely worth his cap-hit. Pretty damn simple.

There is only 2 questions about Luongo: Would he screw-over his new team (down the road) and play out his full contract if he can't perform anymore, as a pricey back-up or AHLer? and ... How will Luongo/Schneider/Canucks deal with things if they can't reach a deal by the time the next season starts. The answer to the 1st question is pretty obvious, and I don't think the 2nd question "drops" Luongo's value (maybe a smidge or two, but not massively). Teams percieve that they might be able to out-wait Van, but that is a dangerous game to play, as Van is very likely to make the playoffs either way, while the team in need of a #1.... not so much. Van has the valuable asset that is in a position that is in a denial-demand. Inerested teams see Luongo's value, and want him. They say his contract is too big/long - that is their nearly-exclusive means of de-valuing him.... but don't be fooled, it's complete garbage: You either want him and his contract, or don't want him at all. There is none of this " I don't want him because of his contract, but I'll take him if I can get him for cheap" garbage. They would still be paying the same contract!

His contract is bad due to injury concerns, not the long-term kind of but the J.S Giguere, Vokoun kind. Where when he hits his mid-30's and he's out for 10-20 games due to a groin injury and possibly becomes injury prone. Then you're stuck with him and cant trade him but he still only plays 40-50 games a year. Not a big issue to me but it's just an example.

The contract is definitely hindering his value to a team like Florida making them a little more lukewarm on him due to money reasons. Although I don't think it's a major issue.

Also your last point isn't all that great. It would make sense if there were a lot of buyers on the market, but right now and for the forseeable future there are really only 2-3 teams in the mix.

If they have at least alright goaltending and Gillis holds onto his high price, don't expect them to cave, they'll simply look for other options.

I dont see why hey cant out-wait van, what happens when Luongo gets really unsatisfied, what happens when he's still sitting there next summer when he hits 34. His value will only drop once you get to about the deadline.