Thread: Younger Team?
View Single Post
Old
04-29-2006, 05:05 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Rebuilding isn't just about getting young guys in the lineup. It is all for naught if you don't create the proper environment for the organization. I think it's very important to create a winning atmosphere and to also have veteran leadership and experience around the young guys to help them develop. You can't have 20 rookies running around every night. They won't learn as much and their development will be hampered by such an environment. If a guy isn't ready for the NHL you do him no good by putting him in that position. I like the fact that the Rangers are being smart and patient with the rebuild. I believe that next year will be more of a rebuild.

Sure we could have traded Rucchin and Rucinsky at the deadline. But what would we have gotten for them? A 3rd round pick? A 4th rounder? Is that more valuable than a good postseason run and their leadership at this time of year? Of course in hindsight it looks like a poor decision but at the time it is a reasonable course of action.

I'm sure that if we were somewhat in this series but still losing people would wonder if it was worth trading away a veteran presence and leadership going into the playoffs. When the dust settles, this year will be viewed as very successful and well played by management.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote