View Single Post
Old
08-21-2012, 07:48 AM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidzey View Post
I don't think it's a good idea. There should be something in place that stops the owners from all out abusing the system, but a union that would represent mostly kids gives me a gutt feeling that it's not to the player's best interest. The last thing you need when you're between the ages of 16-20 is to NOT play hockey while you're trying to make the NHL. You can hurt a player's progress not only physicaly but mentally too. Yea sure... you could still skate and train, but that's not the same thing. CHL although it is a business, it's also a development program and there's no room for unions in a atmosphere like that.

Just my 5 cents....
Given the rise of some of the bigger franchises and their ensuing top-line revenue, it is again not surprising the unions now see an easy mark. With success comes increased scrutiny and unions have taken a beating generally in recent years in the greater economy; this membership drive is just another avenue to increase their own revenues.

If there are work stoppages in the future in junior hockey, pro scouting becomes even that much more difficult.

Development program or not, these kids are more or less employees. Perhaps the weekly stipend they currently get is immaterial, but factor in the accruing of the annual education package even as it is currently constituted and that is ultimately their remuneration.

It's going to be a whole new world going forward.

Crottenham is offline   Reply With Quote