View Single Post
Old
08-21-2012, 09:36 AM
Ward Cornell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Btw, if you think the CHLPA has a case, don't be too surprised if those student/athletes in the NCAA eventually also don't organize themselves. If one is to believe some of the top CHL franchises are making significant net returns off the backs of teenagers, what about the top NCAA programs that annually pull in $60-120M in net revenue, and all their players get is an education package?

Times they are a-changin!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Personally, I'm not a big union guy but I do believe they have their place. Unfortunately, they inevitably cross the line as far as their mandate is concerned.

I can't help but think to some of Tigers1992 comments relative to the disparity between top and lower tiered OHL franchises and how they have treated their players to date. Between the league and those franchises, perhaps if they had a much more uniform approach to ensuring all players were treated top notch across the board, this recent development might have at the very least been delayed?
On different boards I've advocated for the NCAA athletes to form a union. It just costs the NCAA a chair and desk in the classroom since the course and professors are already there for the paying students. While the CHL costs for these scholarships is actually a money spent!
In many many ways IMHO the CHL player right now has it leaps and bounds over a NCAA player but it still can be better!
Plus they also have graduated scholarships in the same vein as the CHL Scholarships and can be terminated at any time. While the CHL player gets his education fully secured with "time served" if he doesn't go pro.

btw...I do agree 100% with the rest of your post also!

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote