Old
08-21-2012, 11:35 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
Not sure why Augusta needs to allow women in. I don't believe they should hold women out but that should be the decision of the owner/members that are in charge. Doubt women would like it if I were to come into the closed off womens section of the gym I am a member of.

It's nice that they are allowing more people in, but they shouldn't feel pressured into doing so.
It is entirely their right to decide their own membership as a private organization, but I completely disagree with you in regards to the last sentence. They're a premier golf course, the site of a major event during the PGA tour, and have business partnerships worth unknown millions of dollars for broadcasting and sponsorship rights. They want to remain a big dog in the world of golf, then they have to accept the fact that their antiquated men's only policy of membership is going to attract a lot of negative attention (especially given the growth in popularity in playing and watching golf amongst women) and they should absolutely be subjected to public pressure for that discriminatory policy, just as they likewise faced such pressure when they were a white's only club and were essentially forced to finally let deserving black members in a few decades ago when the public outcry became too loud for them to ignore.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote