08-21-2012, 12:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I agree with this 100%.

At the time of those deals, we didn't have the organizational depth to do those deals.

And no, those deal will have no bearing on what the Rangers do for the next 30 years.

The mindset of it being OK to trade youth for age in the manner in which those deals were concluded will have a bearing on what the Rangers do for the next 30 years.

I have no issues with the trade the Rangers made for Nash. I believe we have the organizational depth to make that move. There's no reason to follow this Nash trade up with another 4 kids for one player deal no matter who the player is coming back.

The healthy teams in the league funnel youth into their team on a regular basis. Scouting, drafting and developing well is huge, but retaining that youth and letting them develope into the kinds of players you are looking to acquire is the better route to take when building a team.
I'm not sure I agree. First of all, they had a fairly young core with Leetch 26, Graves 26, and Richter 28. They also had the Ferraro brothers, Niklas Sundstrom, Kovalev (who was 21, Corey Hirsch and Zubov.

And they had a team that they felt was close. Sometimes a prospects' best value to organization is as a trading piece.