Thread: Proposal: Van/Chi then Van/Was
View Single Post
Old
08-21-2012, 12:55 PM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stryfe604 View Post
See that is half right. Burke felt his highest limit (if true) was Luke Schenn, nothing more. Meaning that Gillis believed Lou deserved higher. Now perception on the value of Luke Schenn becomes a question, but if that was his highest he would go (and Burke be crazy with trades, not in a good way) then is Lou's value that high, or Gillis just being stubborn? I say this because for what we know of rumours that were semi confirmed (use that term very loosely), that this was the only trade where a detailed trade was put out.
A lot of people believe Burke is a great trader - he is certainly better at it than he is at signing unrestricted free agents. He's pulled off some really nice deals even during his time with the Leafs to acquire Phaneuf (who I don't like but was by a wide margin the best player in the deal, although he also picked up Keith Aulie and then traded him for a big young former first rounder in Carter Ashton), Jake Gardiner and Joffrey Lupul, etc.

As for whether Luongo's value is higher than Luke Schenn's or not, I suspect Burke probably was trying to shop Schenn for the best return he could get - and when he couldn't get Luongo he turned around and acquired JVR instead.

That tells me that in his mind Luongo probably has the highest value of the three. Obviously that is speculative but I don't see why he would have offered something up for an inferior player first, and I don't see why he would have pulled the trigger on a trade or even made an offer if he thought Schenn had significantly higher value than either player.

Maybe Mike Gillis believes Luongo's value is far and away higher than either young player (and on the ice it undoubtedly is), but we can't do anything other than speculate on that. If we accept the Schenn offer as fact and interpret that along with the subsequent Schenn/JVR swap, we have a pretty clear picture of how one NHL GM values Roberto Luongo in related to two other players (and a clear picture of how Mike Gillis values him in relation to one of those two players).

dave babych returns is offline   Reply With Quote