View Single Post
Old
08-21-2012, 11:45 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
But you and the system were not there in 1994 advocating for the selection of of Martin St.Louis and Eric Perrin. You are just Monday morning quarterbacking the old drafts.
If I weren't in high school at the time, maybe I would have been. But you're dancing right 'round the point, which is that any team could have produced a very similar system using data available at that time. There's nothing magical about the present day that allows this type of calculation to be done. You'd have just needed the knowledge and effort to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
If the system works, time capsule today, the eligible non-drafted 2012 players and predict their career paths in the NHL. Five. ten years from now we will have an answer.
Yeah, maybe I should publish a year-by-year list of the best picks according to the system at Hockey Prospectus, with the series to go up to the current day in the end. Oh, it looks like my past self already though of that (but was I actually there to suggest it to myself?) and has already put almost 20 years worth of info up. Only a dozen more to go before we hit the present day.

It's like you think this is some new thing, and not something that has many years of work put into it, with much detail available online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
teams quite simply missed on him.
Yeah, this seems a pretty non-controversial point to me.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote