What to do on Defence?
View Single Post
08-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Join Date: Feb 2012
I have said this before and I'll continue to say that a Del Zotto offersheet could work out spectacularly for us because of the following reasons:
1) New York is already cash strapped with over 21 million committed to their first line alone. To make matters worse, within the next 3 seasons, Gaborik, Callahan, Boyle, Girardi, and Lundqvist all will be unrestricted free agents, causing New York to pay a higher premium to retain some of these players. Along with the UFA's, they must also sign players like Derek Stepan, Chris Krieder, Carl Hagelin, and Ryan McDonagh to deals that are considerably higher than they currently make. That's a lot of money to be paid to players many of whom will deserve considerable pay raises.
2) An offer sheet usually is a little bit higher than his perceived value. Something like 4 years, 22-24 million would be okay to me in all honesty. If we get him, the compensation wouldnt be horrible, and more importantly, if the rangers do match, you can figure they will lose 1 or 2 future stars in their prospect pool.
3) One of the biggest arguments to sending an offersheet is the fractured trade relations that would happen as a result. As division rivals, it would be so rare for them to ever trade anything of significance that it wouldnt really matter.
4) Another implication of the offersheet is the use of it as a precedent for other contracts. I feel as if the Panthers, Canadiens, Capitals, and Rangers are playing a game of chicken with their respective young defensemen. Once one domino falls, the other 3 will use it as a base for their contract. By sending a slightly overpriced offersheet, the other teams will be forking over more money to these somewhat unproven players, or possibly exploring options.
5) Should the rangers accept the compensation and we are awarded Del Zotto, we will get a young quality offensive defenseman that we could potentially pair with luke schenn for the next 10 years as a perfect offensive and defensive duo.
It may sound ridiculous, but i think its at least worth a look at this point in the offseason.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by feedingschennzy