Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Taylor Hall signs seven year extension, $6m per
View Single Post
Old
08-22-2012, 06:06 AM
blackwater

vCash: 135
[QUOTE]This massive reply isn't really relevant to what I'm saying... I know it's prompted because people always tend to go overboard with the 'team X is never going to be able to keep all those players!' thing (though I think that is dieing down somewhat). All I'm saying however is that Edmonton is likely going to just miss that sweet spot that let Chicago dominate for a year. That's not to say they can't become a good team that can compete, or they won't be able to keep all their players.

To put it into perspective, Edmonton has Eberle, Hall, RNH, and Yakupov. Chicago had Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, and Campbell, plus an exceptional supporting cast of Bolland, Versteeg, Ladd, Kopecky, Madden, Byfuglien, and Hjarlmasson. Right now Edmonton has about a good a collection of ELC players as you'll ever see, but unless they can hit the playoffs now the timing won't be right to ever have a team that's that good.

As a Canuck fan I'm happy that we don't have to face an Edmonton team that has booth a strong set of established players plus these amazing young kids on ELC salaries.[QUOTE]

how many impact players on ELC did vancouver have last year? or the year before?

why is the chicago model the only model you throw out there when you talk about the oilers chace at winning? how many impact ELC players did boston have on their roster when they won?

the chicago model of winning with high impact players on ELC is just one of many formulas for a winning team. many other winning teams have used a dominant core of players in their mid 20s with some solid vets and a few rookies sprinkled in, and obviously good goaltending.

the oilers should be a dominant force in the west for the better part of the next decade if the team is managed even remotely proper.