View Single Post
Old
04-29-2006, 11:11 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
For a moment lets look at the real bottom line of this conversation. The entire idea that Raycroft would work because he could be gotten at a reasonable salary sort of skims right over the fact that he is not a guy that would be expected to lead a team in a win now mode to Stanley Cup glory.

I suppose it could happen, but the reason that guys like Raycroft and Aebischer might be available is because they are not starting goaltenders at present and are not playing behind Vezina Trophy goalies either. While Raycroft was pretty good his rookie season he was miserable in the playoffs and the Bolts have already taken one rejected Boston goalie on the cheap.

What I am saying is that while they might be able to get Raycroft and they might be able to afford Raycroft, I don't see where getting Raycroft puts Tampa's goaltending woes to bed. IF the Lightning want a goalie they can count on from day one to settle the issue in net and let them play hockey, they need someone without question marks. That means someone more experienced and someone more expensive. That may mean cutting back on assets at other positions to clear budget space to afford a proven goalie if one is really available(which i doubt). Otherwise when push comes to shove, the questions will remain. Raycroft is not the answer.