View Single Post
Old
08-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Nothing in this package really appeals to New Jersey at all, and Zajac is arguably the most valuable player on their roster.

I would expect a J. Staal package for Zajac: budding top-6 forward, high 1st, throw in pick/prospect. Maybe even more since instead of Crosby/Malkin, we have a 36 year old and a sophomore to fall back on as far as center depth goes.
Travis Zajac does not have the same value as Staal. I like Zajac obviously, but his value is not the same. His last season without Parise, he put up Stajan like numbers on the top line. And while now he probably is fully recovered from his injury, missing almost an entire season did not help his trade value. I think given the fact that he is an upcoming UFA, I think the best the Devils could hope for in terms of a future's package would be a 1st round pick, and a B level prospect (if that was the goal of trading him).

The flaw I see with my proposal is that the Devils apparently do need to acquire a potential starting goaltender, which I view Irving to be. Many feel he has very similar upside to Schneider and Bernier, and I feel those comparisons are accurate. He's the Flames 3rd best prospect, and in no way some garbage piece.

My thought process was including Irving as the main piece, Stajan as a suitable replacement for Zajac, and Byron who is NHL ready.

I also do not view Stajan as garbage either. He has a negative stigma from his time in Calgary, but he is still a good and useful hockey player. I really wish people would actually watch players before making such strong comments about them due to group think. Stajan was one of our best players down the stretch last season where we just missed out on the playoffs.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote