Thread: Proposal: Cal - NJ
View Single Post
Old
08-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Boondock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
Travis Zajac does not have the same value as Staal. I like Zajac obviously, but his value is not the same. His last season without Parise, he put up Stajan like numbers on the top line. And while now he probably is fully recovered from his injury, missing almost an entire season did not help his trade value. I think given the fact that he is an upcoming UFA, I think the best the Devils could hope for in terms of a future's package would be a 1st round pick, and a B level prospect (if that was the goal of trading him).

The flaw I see with my proposal is that the Devils apparently do need to acquire a potential starting goaltender, which I view Irving to be. Many feel he has very similar upside to Schneider and Bernier, and I feel those comparisons are accurate. He's the Flames 3rd best prospect, and in no way some garbage piece.

My thought process was including Irving as the main piece, Stajan as a suitable replacement for Zajac, and Byron who is NHL ready.

I also do not view Stajan as garbage either. He has a negative stigma from his time in Calgary, but he is still a good and useful hockey player. I really wish people would actually watch players before making such strong comments about them due to group think. Stajan was one of our best players down the stretch last season where we just missed out on the playoffs.
Your OP was not very good no matter how you spin it. Zajac is NJ's #1 center, he may be more suited 2-way #2 C, but for right now he is the best C on the Devils roster. He carries similar value to a Staal or a Pavelski. In exchange for NJ's #1 C, you've offered Stajan, a player who after signing a contract to be the 2nd line C has played like a 4th line player. I will admit that he looked better the last 15 games of last season, but not good enough to justify using him as a top 6 C. Calgary used wingers to play C ahead of Stajan last year. Irving could potentially be a starter in the NHL, but 7 NHL games with a gaa over 3 and being benched for the AHL playoffs doesn't exactly scream sure fire NHL starter. Byron is an AHL player basically. He doesn't have enough skill to be a top 6 NHLer and he doesn't have enough size or grit to be a full time bottom 6 NHLer. I am a seasons ticket holder to the Heat so I've seen a fair amount of Irving and 20ish games of Byron and I wouldn't want either of them in a deal for a true top 6 NHL player

Boondock is offline   Reply With Quote