Old
08-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
I hate Leighton as much as the next guy, but AHL All-Star goalie >>>>>D1 goalie
The best three or four goalies in college hockey are pretty sick. Most of those guys, even if they're not objectively superior to Leighton, don't have one single glaring hole in their game that you could drive a dump truck through (that would be his mobility and five hole).

Also, the defense in Adirondack really wasn't too shabby that he was playing behind (as far as AHL defenses go). They may not have had a lot of high end potential, but a lot of those guys have shown well at the NHL level. Gus, MAB, Marshall, Syvret.

Leighton sucks bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
With an answer like that, it's patently obvious you just want to argue for the sake of arguing. If Leighton wasn't signed here, another team would have surely picked him up, meanwhile less than 1% of todays D1 goalies will ever play in 1 NHL game, let alone have a career as a professional in the US.
There are a lot of good goalies in D1 hockey that do not have (in scout's eyes at least) the ability to progress further and develop an NHL game. There are college goalies every year who are not given professional opportunities in North America that do go to their collegiate peers who may have had inferior seasons, but are seen as having more upside. Then again there are a lot of collegiate goalies who have turned into great NHL talents, so there is talent at the position in the D1 ranks, and not all of the best goalies make it to pro leagues.

I stand by my statement, the best D1 goalie to post on/read the boards this year could probably put together a better season at the NHL level than Michael Leighton. The 60 goalies with roster spots in the NHL are not the 60 best goalies in the world. Believe that. Brian Boucher and Michael Leighton still having jobs really ought to bring that point home. AHL and sometimes NHL back-up spots are not always awarded on current ability, more often upside has a lot to do with it.

Leighton is still a bad NHL goalie. Nice guy, does his best, and I don't wish him any misfortune...but he sucks. That's a fact.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote