View Single Post
Old
08-23-2012, 08:29 AM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
OK, right now we're flying with Harts-Giroux-Voracek as first line and Briere-Simmonds on our second line, I guess.

Briere makes a lot of money and will be 35 next yr.. we may or may not bring him back. And even if we do bring him back, he may not play as well due to age.

Voracek may or may not be good enough to be a real good first line winger. No harm whatsoever if he is good enough for the 2nd line but not good enough for the first.. at his payscale (approx 4 mil/yr), most teams would be happy to get a competent second line winger at that price.

SO, if Briere deteriorates or goes away, and Voracek doesnt quite cut it as a first line premier winger, the top 6 will look like:

Harts-Giroux-??
Voracek-??-Simmonds

So who'll be available to fill in ??.

Will we be needing botha superstar centre and a superstar wiinger next season?

Remember that in this scenario, Briere's rather big cap can be used to fill these needs, so capspace may not be that much of an issue.

Let me add that Couts and Schenn may still be too young to be Top 6 and for the sake of having good forward depth, we may wanna keep both of em on the third line for awhiel ratehr than elevating them too early into aTop 6 role.
Briere has 3 yr left on his contract with a NMC, he's not going anywhere. But even so Couts and Schenn by then will be in their 3rd NHL season i think it highly unlikely one of them can't jump up to the 2nd line C position. As far as a 1st line winger is concerned they could look at a trade or UFAs if Jake doesn't work out but honestly if you consider what Jagr did on the first line last year sufficient then i wouldn't worry about it cause there is no way Voracek can't put up the same type of numbers.

FlyersFan61290 is online now   Reply With Quote