View Single Post
Old
08-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Have you ever seen Kaberle play? He's a better forward than a defenseman. Points aren't everything.

As for Diaz and Emelin I hope they progress but most players go through a soft more slump, not get better in their second year.

I'd like nothing more than for us to have everything go perfect next year but it's not likely with our current D corp.
Points aren't everything but Kaberle is still solid defensively when he is in shape. With Toronto he was playing a lot of tough minutes and he never had bad +- numbers despite playing on non playoff teams. Just because he isn't a punishing hitter you equate that as being bad defensively. Lidstrom never had a hit on the TSN highlights but he was good defensively because of his hockey sense and anticipation, Kaberle and Markov play the same way. Not saying Kaberle is as good defensively as Listrom was but he isn't the MA Bergeron liability you describe him as.

Last year most of the team looked bad in the second half, guys not buying in to Cunneyworth's system, too many 1 goal losses and an obvious "malaise" around the team. I think if Therien can change the attitude from day 1 a lot of guys will be a lot better namely Bourque Kaberle Plekanec, adding a leader like Gionta and a stud like Markov(healthy) should also be a big plus.

I don't see any reason Emelin and Diaz would have a "sophmore slump", they had their growing pains last year being "thrown into the fire" very early due to injuries. They are not 19-20-21 year old kids they have been in pro hockey 6-7 years. The NA and NHL adjustments are over, I expect a pretty big jump in production from both.