View Single Post
Old
08-23-2012, 11:38 AM
86Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Neimi wasn't a major part of his cup victory, Ward was. And are you kidding me about the last part? He's had his best seasons recently and if he played on a better defensive club he'd be a concensus top 5 goalie instead of just one people have to argue about.
Ward's Conn Smythe was 6 years ago (it will be 8 when Sochi rolls around) and since then he's done nothing to establish himself as an elite goalie in the NHL, so the Cup and Conn Smythe are old news. IMO his CS was pretty weak anyway, and I'd put both Staal and Brind'Amour ahead of him in terms of their performance that playoff. To turn your argument around, Fleury should be on the team because he won a (more recent) Cup and was excellent in that playoff run as well.

Ward's numbers may look better if he played on a better team than Carolina, but the fact that Hockey Canada didn't select him at least as the 3rd stringer in 2010 doesn't bode well for his chances in 2014 in my view. He's probably behind Price, Luongo and Fleury already at this point, and Smith and Holtby will both probably pass him too if they have seasons like the last though I suspect one of them will come back down to earth. So he has some work to do, for sure. I'm hoping he can, because obviously we're lacking in terms of elite goaltending at the moment (its pretty bad when we're considering Mike Smith for an OG team).