View Single Post
Old
08-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
The fact is that most players won't gain any benefit from the education package as it's being proposed, and there are conflicting comments about changes to the weekly stipend the players receive. In return, they stand to lose a lot of the perks they currently enjoy (cell phones, training, gas allowance in some cases). Finally, there is a chance that a union such as this will result in some franchises folding.

I do believe that the current $50 per week for 16-17 year olds should be updated. I don't have a problem in extending the window where a player can access his education package.

From discussions with other OHL fans I know, adding $1.50 per ticket per game to fund a union will not sit well. If the players want a union, let them pay for it out of their own pockets. In no way should it come at the expense of the fans, and personally, I want no part of any of my money going to support a union.

And God help them if there is ever a work stoppage.
I agree and I know less about the CHL than you do.

To me this sounds like nothing more than an individual(s) trying to make a power grab at the players and fans expense. The more I read/hear about this, the more I think it's someone's fantasy of making $$$ to fit their own agenda. While there may be some good intentions, the ways to go about hasn't been well-thought out and researched in the way that it should be. I'm basing my opinion on what I've read and heard about this, especially from the folks who know the CHL.

If the PA does come to fruition (I just don't think it will at this point), I just see it being for the benefit of those in the upper-echelon of the organization, which so far I don't see players being involved in. And the potentially resulting tragedy in all of this is that it will be the players as well as the fans that will suffer the most.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote