View Single Post
Old
08-23-2012, 05:14 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
St. Louis and Perrin were set on finishing their NCAA careers so NHL teams were not willing to wait.
This must be why teams never draft players who complete their NCAA careers, right? If what you're saying here is true (which it isn't), NCAA players would rarely be drafted.

St. Louis could not have been drafted in his age-17 season, of course. In order to maintain his NCAA eligibility one assumes he did not opt in.

Quote:
Now if you look at the 1995 draft, the number and quality of post 6th round successes is much lower than the 1994 draft. So the scouts and NHL GMs obviously adapted.
And if you look at the 1995 draft, St. Louis' number were that much more impressive than even his very impressive 1994. And any conclusion that anything significant changed from one draft to the next, based on a few players selected in the late rounds, is pure assumption. You don't have nearly enough evidence to make such a claim.

Quote:
At best you have enjoyed some success with St. Louis balanced against the listed bumps in the road that I provided.
With St. Louis and many other players, you mean. You have read all the stuff available at Hockey Prospectus, yes?

Quote:
Do the same for some of the players like Lidstrom - older than the 1988 first overall pick Mike Modano or Daniel Alfredsson and you will add a few points to your scoreboard.
How is Henrik Zetterberg as an example? The system ranks him 28th in 1999, a far sight better than the 210th he was actually drafted. Henrik Lundqvist is rated 11th in 2000, Marc Savard 5th in 1995, Hejduk 11th in 1994, Sami Salo 12th in 1993, Pavol Demitra 17th in 1993, Sami Kapanen 8th in 1992. These are just from what's been published at Hockey Prospectus.

I know the state of my scoreboard, because I have more information about the rankings than you do. It's understandable that you don't know all the ratings, what's not defensible is making assumptions about them, when you don't know what they are.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote