View Single Post
Old
12-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Stock Rocks

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Sinbin
I'm sure that the expected arrival of those two after the Olympics was part of the management's thinking as well. Adding two young forwards that they probably thought might have a fairly immediate impact would certainly make Courtanll more expendable.

That is the type of faulty thinking, however, that bothers me about Boston's management sometimes. It seems to me that Sinden felt they could overpay for Moog because there were replacements on the way. Afterall, one goalie and one forward were leaving and two forwards and a goalie would be arriving. The fault lies with the fact that those two forwards were already Boston property and they would be arriving anyway. A fair deal for Moog would have been a swap of Ranford and Boston's second round pick. Also, inclusing Courtnall in the trade was lunacy. Afterall, Ranford was still a good prospect, the second round pick was top 40 and Moog was a back up goalie who was holding out. I'm sure Moog's playoff triumph over Montreal in the pre-Fuhr Edmonton days played a major factor in Sinden being suckered in to overpaying for Moog. I bet he felt Moog might be able to break the playoff losing streak against the Habs. Isn't life ironic how that ended up?
I don't disagree with a lot of this.

Re: your first reply- the point of me reiterating the part about the Boston perspective was the fact that the MEDIA there did view Ranford as being a throw-in. That's all. I won't beat this dead horse any further, as we all know that Ranford turned out to be a great player for the Oilers, and Courtnall, while he didn't do much for the Oil, went onto prominence in Washington and St. Louis (after a brief stopover in Vancouver).

As far as Moog goes, I think we've had this discussion before- that you never liked him all that much as a goaltender for the B's, so I understand where you are coming from (I think).

While Moog didn't break the curse as you mentioned in '88, he did go on to beat Montreal in '90, '91 and '92- all significant achievements given the long suffering at the hands of the Habs from 1942-88. The irony to me is that Moog DID succeed in breaking the Montreal jinx, he was unable to be the difference in series against Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Buffalo, which ultimately led to the Bruins being no further along than they had been when Sinden traded away two players who arguably could have been instrumental in Boston playoff wins in any of the '90-'93 playoff teams and beyond.

It does make for very interesting discussion...