View Single Post
Old
08-23-2012, 09:51 PM
sjaustin77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Well as far as the Bruins go, that's only because Behindthenet's +/- QoT uses relative +/- not raw +/-.

Lucic's most common linemates were krejci and Horton. Both of whom had much lower +/- than the rest of the team so it seems to make sense that Lucic's +/- QoT is very low.

I'd like a raw +/- QoT I think.

For why I said 10% difference in CorsiRelQoC and numbers like that ... I just calculated that mathematically. -2 to 2 is a difference of 4 units and the scale is 40 wide (-20 to +20). 4 is 10% of 40. That was the worst-case scenario and the biggest difference possible. For most people their CorsiRelQoC hovers around zero.
Like I said I don't like relative so that explains a lot of it. Basically every player on all the worst teams is ranked better than Krejci, Looch and Horton. I don't think it works to accurately compare players on other teams vs each other. The rest of Lucic's top ten teammates match almost exactly with Bergeron and in very close % to Bergeron's ice time as well.

I still don't get the difference. I get the 4 units difference between 2 and -2. Why do you scale it? What are you using to make it 20 to -20? Why not 10 and -10 or whatever? I guess I don't see how you can put a cap on the difference in QOT or QOC or why it should be at 10%. Why don't you just use 4 so that a player with a 2 vs a 1 rating will have a 25% difference (1 divided by 4 units)?

It doesn't make sense that there is only a 10% difference at worst. In theory it should be unlimited. I would say that Crosby is more than twice as good as the worst player in the league. So if someone went exclusively vs Crosby and someone else vs the worst player in the league. He should have twice the QOC value. Now that isn't reality as you do play against some of the same players (and Crosby is probably 10 times better) but there is no reason to put a cap at 10%.

The average player used in the same way should have similar numbers but there are a lot of players way above and below average and top players spend the majority of time against the top and bottom vs the bottom.

Even the same pair D - Chara and Boychuk have top players that Chara played against exclusively and/or played against a lot higher percentage of his minutes. Chara played against Jagr, Thornton, Pavelski, Carter, Gerbe, Marleau, Hartnell, & Malone that Boychuk didn't play at all. Kovalchuk, Parise, Lupul, Kessel, Spezza, Neal, Malkin, Michalek are some of many examples that Chara played a lot more minutes against. When you weight by ice time Chara should come out more than a couple percent ahead of his own D pair.

sjaustin77 is offline   Reply With Quote