View Single Post
Old
08-24-2012, 03:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
While I agree that making diving ineffective would obviously solve the issue, how do you make that happen?
I think that's the tough question. If there were really a good answer the league probably would've done it by now. I don't know that I have a great answer, but the peer pressure route is going to be fruitless for reasons I get into below.

Quote:
It is extremely difficult for refs to judge a dive when they dont have the benefit of replays. If you want video review for dives, I suppose that is a start, but something tells me that would not be feasible. Maybe automatic suspensions for dives? But that is a slippery slope. If you have a borderline dive in a close playoff series, the result could be disastrous. I dont think the league wants more controversy over suspensions.

I think part of the "shaming" thing is for it to be something that is looked down on by your team mates. If, say, Kevin Bieksa openly condemns diving, it would make Burrows or Sedin less likely to take a dive.
The problem is that everybody hates diving...until they're down a goal and need a power play. Then Bieksa is gonna look at his team mate after the game and shrug, as if to say, "screw it, you did what you had to do". The guys who are willing to win at all costs usually do.

Suspensions are one option if someone, shows themselves to be a repeat offender. Dustin Brown could've been sat in the corner for a game long time out last play offs, just my opinion.

Quote:
Again, I'm not saying it will work-- but there is no easy solution to diving. Whatever action they take will draw criticism. You cant just say, "let's make diving ineffective" because there's no practical way of doing that. Diving is effective, unfortunately, and while I think it's possible to make it less effective, I'm not sure there is a way to make it completely ineffective.
We pretty much agree here. Aside from not giving calls to known divers and calling known embellishers, there's not much you can do.

Quote:
I dont see the harm in making a list. It's a start, and there's no potential for it to go bad. A list will also make refs let calls go if the victim of a supposed penalty is a historic diver. Doesnt that make diving less effective?
You said yourself the league doesn't need any more reffing controversy. That is exactly where a list can go bad and do a lot of harm. The last thing you need is a document that exists solely for the purpose of highlighting which players to treat differently than other players, even if they've earned it. That is begging for a massive **** storm, and reduces the margin for error to zero in some circumstances for the refs.

So that is the downside in my mind. The upside, (again just my thought) is absolutely zero. The refs aren't idiots, they don't need a list in order to keep track of who's a BS artist and who's playing the game straight-up. it's already public knowledge who's a chronic diver and who isn't. Just give the refs a green light to call embellishment more often and let them take it from there.