View Single Post
Old
08-24-2012, 01:09 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I've never seen an ECHL or AHL player with anything near his vision. I'm hard-pressed to think of too many NHLers who have it. Categorizing him as a top 12-15 NHL passer is not out of the question.
The fanbase doesn't want a top 12-15 passer. They want a top 12-15 center. That's a cumulative output of everything a player brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
I'll guess that so long as DD as two players like Cole and Pacioretty as his linemates, he will continue to frustrate many of us with his lack of shooting. Those times when he obviously should shoot the puck and he doesn't will always stand out. However, there are many times when he passes the puck where lesser centers would shoot ineffectively. At the end of the day, two of the three linemates scored 30+ goals. It's all about goals by the team and DD is best suited to be a puck distributor when surrounded by these types of players. Still, I'd expect him to score 20 this season with his added experience. He probably will be able to eliminate a fair portion of the times when it was ridiculous that he didn't shoot.

In any case, DD's detractors will be just that. They define themselves that way. I'm unaware of any line in the NHL which had three 30 goal scorers on it. Expecting DD and his $850,000 cap hit to create the only line with three-30 goal scorers is simply absurd.
It's not statistically valid to credit Desharnais for Pacioretty's production. He produced at the same pace last year with Gomez and Gionta in a similar role. No one doubts that Pacioretty would be a 30 goal scorer on the Plekanec line if that line had an offensive role, for example.

Cole is a better example. He played better with DD than he's ever played with Eric Staal, which some such as yourself are using as evidence that David Desharnais might be better than Eric Staal.

All in all, these conversations remind me of the beliefs from the summer of 2008, when some people in Habsland thought the Kostitsyn brothers were better than the Sedin twins.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote