View Single Post
Old
08-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
So it takes over a decade for the Shane Doan domino effect to yield results?

Awesome!

I don't see Doan having that effect. At all.

The Yotes have had troubles developing guys when Doan has been mentoring them over the years.

Turris is just the latest example.
Since when is it only one person's responsibility, Doan's or Tippett's, for the team to be successful? I doubt Mike Babcock, Dave Tippett or whatever coach you hold in the highest esteem would have made the Blue Jackets a playoff team. At the same rate, just because Rick Nash, for example was part of a horrific team doesn't make him a bad player or bad leader. There is only so much you can do at times.

I do not put the full blame of the Coyotes prior failure on Doan's shoulder's just because he was the captain. I also don't credit their rise to significance solely to Dave Tippett. Evaluate Doan idividually and you'll find a player that can provide offense, defense and leadership. There is of course a debate as to how much of each he will/does contribute, but team success is not a great indicator. Using a team's record and playoff success to evaluate a player is possibly worse than +/-.

IMO, this team needs a player like Doan. Someone who can contribute at both ends and be a positive veteran influence. The price is more than I'd like at his advanced age, but we can make room under the cap and have very few ways to improve the team this severely without giving up valuable assets in return.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote