View Single Post
Old
12-04-2003, 11:00 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky2kurri
I'm sorry if I made it sound that way.......because I SURE tried not to.

Once.....again.............I'm just bothered how people are so quick to point out that MacT has posted 90 point seasons.......yet never include the free point for a losses in OT. 9 last season.

If the OTL point never came about. People here wouldn't be bragging about MacT's 80 point seasons. (that's what they would be) But that 90+ number just seems to make so many people feel good.

Total points don't mean squat to me if your scraping into the show (or not at all) I would be prouder of a 80 point season and a 6th place seed.

If they get 99 points this year and come in 9th........it means squat to me. And I would never use it as a good reason to keep MacT around. Yet alot of others seem to think different.
Well I am sure most of us would love an 80 point season and a high seed, but that isn't going to happen.

No, the OTL aren't pointed out, and it is for good reason. It is impossible to tell whether or not they would have made a difference if no point was awarded for a tie.

Teams play differently in OT, especially against the other conference. Before the OTL rule came out, at least 80% of games that went into OT ended in a tie. 5 OT losses in a season was considered horrible, and 5 now is an average number.

Who is to say what the standings would be if there was no OTL. There would be a lot fewer games that didn't end in a tie, that's for sure. I don't know OT win-loss records since this came out, but I am certain that none of them would be the same if there was no OTL.

Yeah, it might have given us 92 points the year we missed the playoffs, but maybe if there was no OT point, and the same rate of ties existed as before, the Oilers might have made the playoffs, so using it as an argument against Mac-T isn't really fair, because there is no real basis for it.