View Single Post
Old
08-25-2012, 10:47 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
That's a tough call. Oilers made significant improvement, but I still don't think it's enough. Likewise the Flames have made some good improvement, but again, I don't think it's enough to address their key issues. Both teams had a change on their bench, which was the biggest change of all.

Obviously Yakupov is an impact forward for many, many years, but the Oilers didn't need another small forward. Shultz is a great asset on paper, but has yet to display anything legitamite. If Shultz pans out, or Klefbom, Marincin, or Teubert step up immediately, while Dubnyk continues to improve and become a solid starter, then the Oilers are a real challenge.

Likewise the Flames have some consistent star talent in Iginla and Kipper, but for too long have we been riding them to carry this team. Our forward depth has always been Iginla, and then a lot of potential 40+ point getters. I think Cammy and Baertschi are the biggest question mark as far as changing that. While Irving is the biggest question mark as to whether Kipper can take days off.

A lot of question marks surrounding both teams, no question. I'm taking the Flames because I still think we have you beat in goaltending for sure. Our defense is obviously looks better, but yours might be surprising. You have us beat in the top 6, especially down the middle, but not in forward depth. Our coaching, on paper anyways, clearly has you beat, but you're potential has us beat.

Last edited by MarkGio: 08-25-2012 at 11:09 AM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote