View Single Post
Old
08-25-2012, 12:02 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
If everybody on defense is an uncertainty then just about every NHLer is uncertain. Kaberle and markov are the only true question marks, the rest are like everybody in the NHL, can progress or regress or get injured.

If Markov and Subban are healthy Kaberle will get less opportunities but we won't need him to be anything more than a solid #5 guy getting easy matchups.
I'll reduce my arguments to two key points:

1) Even if everybody is healthy, our defense is mediocre at best. The biggest player is 6'2" and we don't have a big player in the mould of 2007-08 Komisarek to intimidate the opposing teams, to clear the crease, etc. We're also imbalanced. Subban, Markov, and Kaberle are our three offensive dmen, and they're all passers. We don't have a good shooter in the mould of Sourray / Streit / Schneider / Bergeron / Wisniewski. Notice that with those five names I just listed we typically had the best PP in the league, and without them we typically have the worst PP in the league.

2) Our defense is very vulnerable to injury. Right now we only have 3 top-4 dmen: Markov, Subban, and Gorges. That means if any one of them is injured we'll have TWO third pairings on the ice. We may end up doing this either way for the first 20 or 30 games, as we should expect Markov to be psychologically rusty for at least that length of time. As a contrast, at the start of the 2010-2011 season we had 5 top-4 dmen: Markov, Subban, Gorges, Hamrlik, Spacek. Two of them fell to injury (which is typical), and we were in trouble, Gauthier needed to trade for Wisniewski to bail us out, which means the D was good enough to withstand 1 injury but not 2 in the absence of a trade. That superior situation was good enough for 6th place in the Eastern Conference. We are now in an inferior situation.

It's simply not true that every D-corps in the league is equally vulnerable to injury, and the contrast between 2010-2011 and 2012-2013 Habs proves this.