View Single Post
Old
12-04-2003, 11:24 AM
zurg999

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
Well I know some don't like him but he has been playing well so far. 9 Assists in 25 games and a team leading plus 6. I know it's not worth what we pay him but it's solid and atleast he's not going for another -31 season. I always said that if he just had a simpler 3rd or 4th defencive role with PP time instead of playing #1 against the other teams top line he'd be productive, even though we do pay him #1 D salary. Now if he could just keep up his good defensive play without sacrificing the good offence we know he can produce. What do you think, has he been as solid as his stats show?
You can see his confidence being rebuilt game by game.

I maintained all last year that Brisebois was forced into a role that didn't suit his game. There are those who will step up and say that for what he was being paid, he should have been able to adapt. I don't feel that way. Each player on the team brings his strengths and weaknesses and to have Brisebois attempting to shut down the oppositions top line is stupid. With the roster last year though, there was little option.

I don't think he is the 2nd coming, but we have no better skater or creative passer on D and the critics can snicker all they want. The difference for him and the team this year (aside from bulking up and being given some breathing room by Gainey) is that the more physical defensemen Souray, Quintal, Rivet are all healthy. With more depth, hopefully we'll see Breezy have more seasons like his last contract year.