View Single Post
Old
08-25-2012, 06:11 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Bit different than LA, and although I understand your point here, have to take a look at what they're spending their money on vs Edmonton.

Edmonton: Finesse Scorer, Finesse Scorer, Finesse Scorer & Clutch Worker Scorer
LA: Leader + Two way scorer (Richards), Finesse Scorer (Carter), Big body set-up man and scorer (Kopitar) & Top 10 Dmen in the League (Doughty).

So, while let's say that Edmonton gives 6 million for each of their four studs combining up to 24 million on a cap of 70 million, they're using up about 34% of their salary on guys who mostly all play the same role. Meaning they now have 66% of their salary to find all the rest of the puzzle pieces. In LA at the end of the day, with that core of 4 you will have a successful team; in Edmonton you will have to surround them with the proper pieces to go for it all.

I honestly think that Edmonton should try and move one of the 4 to get themselves a Dman, a big time Dman. Or they should have drafted Murray with the first overall.

Eberle + Hall + RNH & Murray + Schultz would be more than enough that in two years time could really be a solid team.

Don't get me wrong with my next statement here, while I wish Calgary had so much young talent in the pipeline, I think HF fanboys and most analysts are giving Edmonton too much credit. Yes, they drafted 4 really good players who could all potentially be perennial 70-90 point players (I think Eberle might have topped out this year, I don't see him as a guy who can do 70-80 every year) in the future... I don't see this makeup becoming a powerhouse in the NHL like Pitts or even Chicago.

While everyone points to those two franchises as the "take a look what a full rebuild does!" You have to really see what they got during their rebuilds.
Edmonton doesn't have a Crosby, Malkin or Staal type player in any respect, nor do they have the more balanced: Toews, Keith, Seabrook, Byfuglien (hope I spelled that right) or a Ladd (They have a lot of Kanes) make up.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Edmonton could easily be compared to a team like Tampa in the near future. A ton of scoring, where one year they're a great team, the next year they have a GAA of over 3.2. But that's just me, and I've accepted I'm probably going to get flamed in a bit here.
I agree its different but I only used Richards, Carter, Kopitar, Penner in my calculation if you use Doughty instead of Penner they spent 24.822 million or 38.6% of the cap on them if the big 4 sign for an average of 6 mil per year that is 24 million or around 33-34% of the cap in a few years time (if not less) they may not have players taking huge home town discounts like Quick and Brown but if they avoid vast overpayments on players like Penner and Gagne (felt he was done before last year) than it will equal out the only way the oilers get in cap trouble is if they spend 40+% on their big 4.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote