View Single Post
08-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Mr Writer
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
Some random thoughts on the tournament, and final today which I viewed online:

Waterloo impressed me. They were fast, disciplined and showed some creativity on offense. The USHL has come a long way for sure. I wasn't surprised that they made it to the final, in fact I was expecting it. Waterloo also plays on an Olympic size ice surface at their home rink, so they know the big ice and used it to their advantage.

I felt the Wolves experience in facing better competition on a regular basis in the OHL showed through in the end. After seeing teams like Niagara, Barrie, Kitchener, London etc., there's nothing a team like Waterloo can throw at them that they haven't seen before.
Having guys like Sefton, Leivo etc. in the lineup makes a big difference. Waterloo's skill guys were nice to watch, but definitely on the smaller side.

What to take from this? Kudos to the USHL, as I said they've made big strides. I'll be interested in seeing how both teams do in league play this year. If Waterloo really is the 'loaded' powerhouse people are saying they are this season. As for Sudbury, most predictions have them as a lower-tier team who will be lucky to make the playoffs.

I loved this tournament, and really wish there were more inter-league events like it. I do think though now that since a team like Sudbury was able to take the title, the CHL will likely follow the same recipe next year and pick a mid-range team rather than a powerhouse. In my opinion (and I'm sure I'll take some flack for this), but if the OHL would have sent one of their more powerful squads to the tourney, you would have seen a lot of the 9-1 type scores like Sudbury put up against Finland.
True, but I'd like to see it just once! Just once HC, send the Memorial Cup Champs.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote