Old
08-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Only four fourth liners who can play physical, bring energy and score 10 goals? Nice try bud. I don't blame Columbus fans for not wanting to move Dorsett, but he's not some special, one of a kind player. No team would offer up much in return if he were on the market.

To put it in perspective:
Would be happy to!

Quote:
Anaheim - Devante Smith-Pelley (upside significantly higher though)
Sheltered, as befits a rookie.

Quote:
Boston - Shawn Thornton (less goal scoring, but brings all other aspects)
This is the biggest insult in the entire list and not a good way to start. Thornton did vastly worse in every single possible measurable way and a bunch of intangible ways as well. Comparing these two is like comparing Eric Christensen to Jason Spezza.

Quote:
Buffalo - Patrick Kaleta
Closest equivalent so far, but he wasn't used in the same sorts of situations. He might be there sometime.

Quote:
Calgary - Tom Kostopoulos, Tim Jackman (less offense, but brings other elements)
Neither of them faced anything near the same level of competition, and Jackman was strictly an O-zone guy.

Quote:
Carolina - not a comparable player
Try Brandon Sutter, before he was traded. At least in terms of end results.

Quote:
Chicago - Bryan Bickell, Jamal Mayers
Bickell is reasonably close. So is Dave Bolland. Mayers played against pretty much nobody of quality.

Quote:
Colorado - Cody Mcleod
Played mostly against fourth-liners and did crappy against them.

Quote:
Dallas - Steve Ott
Potentially. Faced less difficult minutes, but performed better in them, so he could probably do similar.

Quote:
Detroit - Jordin Tootoo
Faced fairly sheltered competition.

Quote:
Edmonton - Ryan Jones (minus fighting, more offense), Ben Eager
Jones also spent a bit more time in the offensive zone. Eager faced damn near nobody.

Quote:
Florida - not a comparable player
Concur, because Goc is the only forward who faced similar competition in similar situations, and he's damn near elite in that category. Dorsett ain't elite.

Quote:
Los Angeles - Kyle Clifford
Played against nobodies and losers and did not exactly do well.

Quote:
Minnesota - Cal Clutterbuck
Probably a fair comparable. One of the better ones listed.

Quote:
Montreal - Brandon Prust
Didn't face anything like the same level of competition, and did worse against it.

Quote:
Nashville - Paul Gaustad (minus fighting)
Somewhat close, although Dorsett did better against tougher guys.

Quote:
New Jersey - no comparable, although Clarkson brings all elements in a top six role
Clarkson actually ended up pretty sheltered. Did damn well in that role, though, so he could probably take it on.

I'm seeing here a definite tendency to look strictly at "guys who play with their head on fire" - i.e. a focus on play style, rather than play results. That's the big issue at hand here.

Quote:
NY Islanders - Frans Nielsen (doesn't fight, but is better at everything else), Matt Martin
Martin is a poor man's Dorsett. And Neilsen is their second-line center (also, see comments above re: Goc).

Quote:
NY Rangers - Brian Boyle
Did better, but against less difficult competition. Still, a fairly reasonable comparison.

Quote:
Ottawa - Chris Neil
Please. He performed a similar job... in the offensive zone, against lower-tier players.

Quote:
Philadelphia - Wayne Simmonds, but significantly better and plays top 6
Simmonds actually did a comparable job (except in scoring, where he excelled) with MANY more offensive zone starts and going up against weaker players.

Quote:
Phoenix - Raffi Torres
Couldn't play that same level of defense if his life and career depended on it. Does his best work when sheltered - like he was.

Quote:
Pittsburgh- Aaron Asham
Don't be absurd.

Quote:
San Jose - No comparable
Try Dominic Moore.

Quote:
St. Louis - Scott Nichol fills a similar role, less physicality.
Not hardly! Nichol faced freaking nobody.

Quote:
Tampa Bay - No comparable, but Ryan Malone plays similar in a top six role
Best comparable I can find is Tom Pyatt.

Quote:
Toronto - Mike Brown (minus fighting)
Played somewhat comparable d-zone minutes, but against lesser opponents.

Quote:
Vancouver -
Nobody I can find either. Malhotra envies DD's O-zone starts.

Quote:
Washington - Matt Hendricks, Jay Beagle
Both spent less time in the defensive zone, and neither faced the same kind of quality opposition, but they're the closest one can find on the Caps.

Quote:
Winnipeg - Jim Slater
Almost perfect except for the fact that Slater sucked hardcore.

I give you credit - you did a better job of finding comparable players than I would have expected. Clutterbuck and Ott are definitely very good ones, and in double-checking your work I got to discover that Kaleta had more to him than I thought. That said, there were some really poor selections - particularly Nichol and Thornton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
To Philly:
Derek Dorsett
3rd 2013

To CBJ:
Rinaldo
Wellwood

?
Not a chance. Rinaldo is a significant downgrade, and Wellwood is not a substantive enough add to our forward depth to make it worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
No reason for Columbus to trade him. He's everything you could ask for in a hockey player. Love to have him in Detroit. Just for fun:

To Detroit:
Derek Dorsett

To Columbus:
Drew Miller
3rd rounder

Jordin Tootoo & Derek Dorsett on the same line would be hell for the opposition.
Setting aside that this is a discussion of a trade between Columbus and Detroit this would not happen. Miller, compared to Dorsett, is extremely sheltered, so it doesn't exactly surprise me that he scores more.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote