View Single Post
Old
08-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Marklar*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Do you follow junior hockey?

Saying Couturier just does not have the offensive acumen of RNH is, looking at their junior careers, extremely flawed, Couturier had the most PPG in his draft year of any CHL draft eligible player... despite having mono.

In a league (the Q), which is the lowest scoring of the 3 junior leagues, Couturier dominated like no player since Crosby (look at the stats, the games ect) as an underager.... he got every trophy apart from top goal scorer it is possible to get in the Q as a forward.

PPG for last two years of junior.

Couturier: 1.52
RNH: 1.26
Landeskog: 0.98

Draft year PPG:

Couturier: 1.66
RNH: 1.54
Landeskog: 1.25

It is not Couturiers fault he is on one of the better NHL teams while RNH and Landeskog are on young, rebuilding teams, so get far more, and better quality ice time and ice-mates.

Couturier spent most of the year with Max Talbot, Zach Rinaldo and Eric Wellwood.

When he was given a more offensive role, with better linemates near christmas and into early Jan, he got 12 points in 18 games.

Not saying I think he will be a 90 point player... but he easily has the potential to develop into that range of 80-90.
Huh?

Yes I follow junior hockey. Religiously. I have no idea where you're coming up with this "the Q is the lowest scoring junior league", but it's actually the worst of the three CHL leagues by far and the easiest for a top prospect to dominate offensively in. Look how many Q players are drafted each year, in the first round especially, and that should give you all the proof you need. The Q has top players like Crosby, Huberdeau, etc. come along every year but their league is pretty shallow other than Saint John and Quebec this season (and no Shawinigan wasn't great). Ask any scout ever, the Q is the easiest league to score in if you're atop prospect, especially if you're 6'4.

I am not talking about their PPG's in junior. I could not care any less about their stats. Couturier does not have the offensive skillset of a guy like RNH. It's night and day in comparison. If everything was based on stats, Couturier would have gone first overall.

Put Couturier in the WHL like RNH, and he's not as dominant as he was in the Q. Guaranteed. Bigger, tougher league to score in. RNH just has more skill, shiftiness, vision. There's a reason he went 1st overall and Couturier went 8th. I'm sorry but you don't follow junior hockey or prospects in general if you think Couturier has as much upside as an RNH. If you think he has the potential to get 80 points, you're going to be disappointed.

That's all I have to say, and I won't return to this forum. No doubt the replies are gonna be all biased anyway, so what's the point of me coming here to show my unbiased views.

Marklar* is offline   Reply With Quote