View Single Post
Old
08-27-2012, 02:36 AM
OrrNumber4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Sorry but no he didn't dominate the way Gretz did. Sorry you disagree but I don't really care. I know there's this love affair with the greats of yester year but the reality is that times have changed. BTW his goal scoring record did not stand for 30+ years... it lasted about 15 years from the first time he set it in '69 until Coffey broke it. So it might be you who needs that clue... Coffey also scored one less point in his best season than Orr did in his best. Based on purely offensive stats Coffey matches up to Orr pretty well. Based on his per game point totals during his prime he could have had 9, 100 point seasons as a defensman if it weren't for a couple cut short by injury.

Just to clear this up since so many of you can't seem to get it... Yes I think Orr is insanely great. One of the top 3 or 4 best players in the history of the game. The all time team has him and Lidstrom as the starting pair. Yes Orr changed the way people played D. But basically we're talking about a forward who moved back to D so it kinda seems like a no brainer that he would play it differently. I would concede that he was probably the best offensive defensman ever, but I think coffey was close as was Bourque, if that makes you feel better but for me Lidstrom was better all around. Still I think they played different styles and to me Lidstrom was more like Gretz in that his best weapon was his brain. Although Orr was a great playmaker as well, it was his superior skating ability is what I believe opened him up to be such a great play maker.
How is Lidstrom even better than Bourque?

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote