View Single Post
Old
08-27-2012, 08:16 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Nedved fanned on that wrist shot at least once a game during his second stint. The Zubov trade was part one of the beginning of the end for the 90s Rangers. The Norstrom trade was part II.

To bring up 1981 again as opposed to 1979; the 81 run intrigues me and I'm surprised isn't more highly regarded in Rangers history. That fight against the Kings is one of the funniest things I've ever seen and funny how guys like Jay Wells and Jim Rutherford were in it. They also beat a STL team with Mike Liut who was in beast mode that season. He'd get his revenge on the Rangers nearly a decade later with the Caps.

If the 81 team has a healthy Maloney, Johnstone, and JD..do they at least take the Islanders to a deep series? Rangers would have destroyed the North Stars in the Finals that year. Shame JD was finished.

What about 1982?

That was my favorite year as a young Rangers fan. The team had horrific injuries -- Vickers had a career-ender, Hedberg missed the whole season, Ftorek missed half the season, Maloney missed time and Greschner missed 3/4 of it.

They would have been a 100-point team without the injuries.

They beat the Flyers in four games, then take Game 1 in the Mausoleum after Ruotsoleinen scored a few minutes after Eddie Mio and Sutter got into a fight. They get blown out in game 2 (expected), and then in game 3 blow a 3-2 lead in the 3rd on a BS goal by Bob Bourne and lose in OT to Trottier on one of the weakest OT goals in NHL history.

1982 was a crusher. That was an excellent, young team.

That's why I will never, ever, ever, ever feel "sorry" for the Islanders. I hope that franchise continues to rot like they have for the last 28 years, whether it's in Hempstead or Quebec or Butte, Montana. I hate the Isles and I always will.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote